Research on teaching deals with theories and models for effective teaching. It offers teachers a scientifically based knowledge of action and reflection for planning, carrying out, evaluating and improving their lessons. With its interdisciplinary approach, it contributes to understanding across subject boundaries. It has many disciplinary references, from educational theory to empirical teaching and learning research. It cooperates with the fields of subject specific methodologies and teaching methods for school subjects in order to develop teaching holistically.
Educational Technology develops guidelines for the deliberate use of tools in teaching and learning contexts. This includes the development and selection of technology for teaching and learning, the planning of technology-supported teaching units as well as their implementation and empirical testing. A special focus is on digital teaching and learning technologies. Ideally, the use of such technology should make teaching more vivid, activating, motivating and ultimately more effective. Furthermore, learners should be enabled to use these technologies in a self-determined, competent and responsible manner.
In particular, our research focuses on the following topics:
Teaching methods and teachers’ beliefs;
Personalized teaching and learning methods;
Integration of educational technology in schools;
Information literacy and media literacy education;
Technology in teacher education: mobile note taking and reflective writing;
Serious games and gamified learning.
- Schmid, M., Brianza, E., & Petko, D. (2021). Self-reported technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) of pre-service teachers in relation to digital technology use in lesson plans. Computers in Human Behavior, 115 (2021), 106586. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2020.106586
- Schmid, M., Brianza, E., & Petko, D. (2020). Developing a short assessment instrument for Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK.xs) and comparing the factor structure of an integrative and a transformative model. Computers & Education, 157 (2020), 103967. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2020.103967
- Petko, D. (2020). Quo vadis TPACK? Scouting the road ahead. In Proceedings of EdMedia + Innovate Learning (pp. 1277-1286). Online, The Netherlands: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/217445/.
- Schmid, M. & Petko, D. (2020). ‹Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge› als Leitmodell medienpädagogischer Kompetenz. MedienPädagogik: Zeitschrift für Theorie Und Praxis Der Medienbildung 17 (Jahrbuch Medienpädagogik), 121-40. doi: 10.21240/mpaed/jb17/2020.04.28.X.
- Schmid, M., Krannich, M. & Petko, D. (2020). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge. Entwicklungen und Implikationen. journal für lehrerInnenbildung, 20(1), 116-124. doi:10.35468/jlb-01-2020_10
- Petko, D., Schmid, R., & Cantieni, A. (2020). Pacing in Serious Games: Exploring the Effects of Presentation Speed on Cognitive Load, Engagement and Learning Gains. Simulation & Gaming, 51, 258-279. doi: 10.1177/1046878120902502
- Tondeur, J., Petko, D., Barma, S., Christensen, R., Drossel, K., Eichhorn, K., Knezek, G., Mukama, E., Schmidt-Crawford, D., Starkey, L., & Nleya, P. Th. (2020). Advancing Conceptual Models of Technology Integration in Education: Implications for Researchers, Practitioners and Policymakers. In P. Fisser & M. Phillips (Eds.), Learners and Learning Contexts: New Alignments for the Digital Age. Report of EDUsummIT 2019 (pp. 70–75). Quebec, CA. Retrieved from https://edusummit2019.fse.ulaval.ca/files/edusummit2019_ebook.pdf
- Petko, D. (2019). Medien im Unterricht. In E. Kiel, B. Herzig, U. Maier & U. Sandfuchs (Hrsg.). Handbuch Unterrichten in allgemeinbildenden Schulen (S. 249-256). Bad Heilbrunn: Verlag Julius Klinkhardt.
- Schmid, R., & Petko, D. (2019). Does the use of educational technology in personalized learning environments correlate with self-reported digital skills and beliefs of secondary-school students? Computers & Education, 136. 75-86. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2019.03.006
- Petko, D., Schmid, R., Müller, L., & Hielscher, M. (2019). Metapholio: A Mobile App for Supporting Collaborative Note Taking and Reflection in Teacher Education. Technology, Knowledge and Learning. doi:10.1007/s10758-019-09398-6