VET & Culture workshop "Opening and extending vocational education"
University of Zurich, 17.-18. September 2018
The workshop combines perspectives of
- a historising dimension on vocational education,
- an open understanding of vocational education including higher education, further and adult education, and
- informal and non-formal aspects of the education system.
We consider that apprenticeship and VET are distinct approaches towards initial education that have been opened and extended to various directions over time: Higher education took on vocational education models. Vice versa, vocational education development tends to adopt to structures of higher education. Privatisation and marketisation have emerged as well as utilitarian approaches towards labour market skills. Informal learning and recognition of competences have widened the perspectives on vocational education. In this workshop, we will discuss the variety of opening and extending tendencies within vocational education and their effects. Presentations will alternate with round tables combined with a planned field visit.
Call for contributions and participation
We ask for contributions for the sessions planned during our workshop until 30. April 2018 to Philipp Eigenmann email@example.com
Please also indicate if you plan to participate without a contribution.
We will give you feed-back of acceptance during the second week of May.
Due to logistic reasons and as we plan a workshop type of meeting, we have only a limited number of places available.
Proposals should have the following sections, max. 1 A4 sheet:
- Name and Institution
- Type: 1) classic: 20 min presentation + 20 min discussion, 2) round table: 5 min thesis and argumentation + 35 min discussion, 3) hands-on: 5 min introduction + 35 min workshop type of producing, working, thinking together
- Preferred section: 1) a historising dimension on vocational education, 2) an open understanding of vocational education including higher education, further and adult education, and 3) informal and non-formal aspects of the education system.
- Content (main topic, argument, reason)
Download: Call for Papers (PDF, 123 KB)