Research on teaching deals with theories and models for effective teaching. It offers teachers a scientifically based knowledge of action and reflection for planning, carrying out, evaluating and improving their lessons. With its interdisciplinary approach, it contributes to understanding across subject boundaries. It has many disciplinary references, from educational theory to empirical teaching and learning research. It cooperates with the fields of subject specific methodologies and teaching methods for school subjects in order to develop teaching holistically.
Educational Technology develops guidelines for the deliberate use of tools in teaching and learning contexts. This includes the development and selection of technology for teaching and learning, the planning of technology-supported teaching units as well as their implementation and empirical testing. A special focus is on digital teaching and learning technologies. Ideally, the use of such technology should make teaching more vivid, activating, motivating and ultimately more effective. Furthermore, learners should be enabled to use these technologies in a self-determined, competent and responsible manner.
In particular, our research focuses on the following topics:
Teaching methods and teachers’ beliefs;
Personalized teaching and learning methods;
Integration of educational technology in schools;
Information literacy and media literacy education;
Technology in teacher education: mobile note taking and reflective writing;
Serious games and gamified learning.
- Antonietti, C., Schmitz, M. L., Consoli, T., Cattaneo, A., Gonon, P., & Petko, D. (2023). Development and validation of the ICAP Technology Scale to measure how teachers integrate technology into learning activities. Computers & Education, 192, 104648.
- Michos, K., Cantieni, A., Schmid, R., Müller, L., & Petko, D. (2022). Examining the relationship between internship experiences, teaching enthusiasm, and teacher self-efficacy when using a mobile portfolio app. Teaching and Teacher Education, 109, 103570. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2021.103570
- Schmitz, M.-L., Antonietti, C., Cattaneo, A., Gonon, P., & Petko, D. (2022). When barriers are not an issue: Tracing the relationship between hindering factors and technology use in secondary schools across Europe. Computers & Education, 104411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2021.104411
- Ruloff, M., & Petko, D. (2022). School principals’ educational goals and leadership styles for digital transformation: results from case studies in upper secondary schools. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2021.2014979
- Schmid, R., Pauli, C., Stebler, R., Reusser, K., & Petko, D. (2022). Implementation of technology-supported personalized learning — its impact on instructional quality. The Journal of Educational Research, 10–1080. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.2022.2089086
- Désiron, J. C., & Petko, D. (2022). Academic dishonesty when doing homework: How digital technologies are put to bad use in secondary schools. Education and Information Technologies, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-022-11225-y
- Désiron, J. C., Petko, D., Lapaire, V., Ullrich, C., & Clack, L. (2022). Using virtual reality to train infection prevention: what predicts performance and behavioral intention? Virtual Reality. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-022-00708-5
- Schmid, R., Pauli, C., & Petko, D. (2022). Examining the use of digital technology in schools with a school-wide approach to personalized learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11423-022-10167-z
- Petko, D., Cantieni, A., Schmid, R., Müller, L., Krannich, M., & Michos, K. (2022). Technology acceptance of a mobile portfolio app for teacher education: Pre-service teachers views on multimedia-based note-taking and mentoring in internships. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1080/21532974.2022.2142990
- Schneider, J., & Petko, D. (2022). Digitale Möglichkeiten zur Förderung von Core Practices in der Lehrpersonenbildung. Journal Für lehrerInnenbildung Jlb, 22(3), 96–108. https://doi.org/10.35468/jlb-03-2022-07
- Petko, D., Antonietti, C., Schmitz, M.-L., Consoli, T., Gonon, P., & Cattaneo, A. (2022). Digitale Transformation der Sekundarstufe II: Erste Ergebnisse einer repräsentativen Bestandsaufnahme in der Schweiz. Gymnasium Helveticum, 2022(5), 20–21.
- Brianza, E., Schmid, M., Tondeur, J., & Petko, D. (2022). Situating TPACK: A Systematic Literature Review of Context as a Domain of Knowledge. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 22(4), Article 4. https://citejournal.org/volume-22/issue-4-22/general/situating-tpack-a-systematic-literature-review-of-context-as-a-domain-of-knowledge/
- Schmid, R., Pauli, C., Stebler, R., Reusser, K., & Petko, D. (2022). Implementation of technology-supported personalized learning - its impact on instructional quality. The Journal of Educational Research, 115(3), 187–198. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.2022.2089086